Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Are We for Real?

'Man gets just 2 yrs for abusing daughter'

whispered a sub-headline apologetically on page 7 of today's leading daily (News). And then it went on to rant about archaic laws and such like.

I'm reading the article and all I am present to is rising bile and a sickly empty feeling in the pit of my stomach - a father does this to his child so he can (in my understanding and how the situation occurs for me) get back at his wife for moving out?!? Bloody hell, whatever the reasons might be, rape, even if digital, of your own begotten child? Unfathomable! There's a limit to perversion, isn't there?

Now before you raise your eyebrow in disbelief and ask me, 'have you never heard of incest?" I have. My childhood friend's younger cousin was forced into sexual intercourse with her real brother from a time she didn't understand that this was not normal. For 10 long years she took it before education made her realize it wasn't. This, while they all lived in a joint family!

And the law takes invasion of a woman's privacy so lightly, it's unbelievable. A man rapes a 3 month old, 83 year old, 21 year old, fuck, any-year old woman and he gets 7 years? How about the capital punishment? WAKE UP people, change the damn law.

The sad truth about incest - you won't find statistics. I did a google search (statistics: incest in India) and it yielded about 3,460,000 results in 0.18 seconds...and the latest statistics were as old as 2009 - that too indirectly in this article. I remember reading the book Bitter Chocolate when I was still in my teens and being so shaken by it that I couldn't sleep for weeks - I would feel guilty about taking my loving and protected childhood for granted and cry so much in pain for those who had been or were still being subjected to incest!

And then came another shocker. Please read this unbelievable page.

I'm still stunned. What are your thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Color Picker With VMN Toolbox