Saturday, April 09, 2011

Things I learnt this morning...

I go to a goshala close to my house for getting milk every morning, and there's something or the other that grabs my attention everyday.

So this morning wasn't any different.

As I turned from our lane to get on to an arterial road to get to the goshala, there stood smack-bang in the centre of the road a Honda Accord and 2 men yakking with the doors open! When I honked, trying to squeeze my car in from the side, one of the men steps nearly in front of my car, peeks inside, gives me a lewd smile and steps back. I'd reached about 20 metres ahead by this time, and stopped soon as I realized what he was up to. Soon as I stopped and rolled down my window, the man in the driver's seat said something, the other two jumped into the car, speed-reversed the car and went the other way.

Then, as I reached Jantar Mantar to stand by Anna Hazare, dressed in my jeans and a tee, I got another lewd comment from a man on the road. This time I really lost it and let forth a volley of choice abuses that left the man stunned - I could see it on his face.

What I learned: In our country, doesn't matter if you're an educated man, a semi-literate one or an illiterate bum; doesn't matter what time of the day or night it is - if you see a woman, no matter how she's dressed, you will at some point or the other in your life (and for some FAR more frequent that that) disrespect a woman. And why? Because that's what you learned from the men you saw around you growing up.

What I'm telling you: First - DON'T underestimate women, especially in this day and age. You misbehave and we'll sock one or two to you.

More importantly, If YOU don't stop now, that's precisely what you'll be passing on the the generations of boys following you - and then your footsteps - in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Color Picker With VMN Toolbox