Saturday, June 10, 2006

My perfect date...

'So, describe your perfect date to me.' 'Walking down the beach...'

I stood there at the beach, with the moonlight making everything etheral and lovely. The faint silver light in the sky, the darkening of the horizon, the vast sea stretched out in front of me like a deep, dark -yet soft - blanket that had silver trimmings at its edges. The slow, deep sound of the sea stirring something inside of me while calm enveloped me like a father's hand around a child's finger.

As I stood there, I thought of strolling down this beach with someone who could share this peace with me...just holding hands, in step with each other, in tune with each othes thoughts, feeling the waves come and caress our feet as we stood there, looking out at the sea, no words exchanged....


...till OW! Something bites on of us on our big toe.

OK...this does not happen in my perfect date. What did happen is that as I stood there, drinking in the beauty of the moment and dreaming of my perfect date with my eyes open and my senses heightened, I saw what looked like big - and small - bubbles rolling out of the waves that rushed to the shore and retreated equally quickly -like an errant husband who goes to meet his mistress, but time spent, then rushes back home to the warmth and comfort of his beloved wife.

Ok, I digress.

So, these "bubbles" turned out to be ...hold your breath...CRABS...and I don't mean the ones that lie benignly on your plates waiting to be devoured. I mean real, live, scamepering-across-the-beach-and-into-the-water ones that would devour YOUR big toe if threatened ones.

I stood there, scared and fascinated at the same time. These were sand crabs that could camouflage themselves and take on the color of the sand when on it and fool you with their color. What fascinated me more was the speed with which they could dig themselves into the sand. Here one second, gone deep into the sand the other, leaving behind a gaping hole.


I watched them for what seemed like the longest time, with my heart thudding away at the prospect of one coming and kissing my feet. I am quite possessive of my big toe...and all the others as well, you see.

And that signaled to me the need of finding a new "perfect date". It's sure as anything not going to be on a beach any more.

Ideas, anyone?


1 Comments:

Blogger ShaluBhuchar said...

I think it's beautiful! donno how i missed this beautiful comment, Talia...hope you're still arounf, more than 5 years later...

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Color Picker With VMN Toolbox